top of page

Corp. Income Tax Return in Korea; 법인세 法人稅

For more details, please feel free to reach out at or If you would like a consultation with an English-speaking Consultant/Accountant in Korea, please schedule a call at: Schedule a Call with Jz

If you are a corporation operating in Korea, you need to file your income tax return every year. In this blog post, I will explain the basics of the Korean corporate income tax system, including the tax rate, the due date of the return, and some tips to avoid penalties and fines.

The tax rate for corporations in Korea depends on the taxable income and the type of business. The general tax rate is 9% for the first 200 million won of taxable income, 19% for the next 20 billion won, and 21% and 24% for the excess. However, there are some exceptions and special rates for certain industries, such as manufacturing, agriculture, mining, and energy. You can check the detailed tax rates and conditions on the National Tax Service website.

The due date of the corporate income tax return is three months after the end of the fiscal year. For most corporations, this means March 31st(April 1, 2024 for your reminder) of the following year. However, if you have a different fiscal year than the calendar year, you need to adjust your due date accordingly. For example, if your fiscal year ends on June 30th, your due date is September 30th.

To file your corporate income tax return, you need to prepare various documents and forms, such as financial statements, tax invoices, withholding tax certificates, and tax payment receipts. You also need to calculate your taxable income, tax credits, and tax liabilities. You can file your return online through the Home Tax system or by mail or in person at your local tax office.

If you fail to file your return on time or pay your taxes correctly, you may face penalties and fines from the tax authorities. The penalty for late filing is 20% of the unpaid tax amount or 0.07% of the sales revenuw, whichever is higher. The penalty for underpayment or non-payment of taxes is 10% of the unpaid tax amount plus interest. The interest rate is determined by the Bank of Korea's base rate plus 3%. You may also be subject to a tax audit or investigation if you make errors or omissions in your return.

Therefore, it is important to file your corporate income tax return accurately and timely. If you need professional help or advice, you can consult a certified public accountant (CPA) or a tax lawyer who specializes in Korean tax law. They can help you prepare your return, optimize your tax savings, and deal with any issues or disputes with the tax authorities.


bottom of page